Sunday 26 August 2012

Home Again Home Again

Stepping off the airplane yesterday, a sigh escaped from both U and me.  The warm humid air hit us like a wall.  I whimpered and asked U if we could jump on a plane and head back to Canada.  I told him I bet we could both get jobs in the tourism industry in Jasper.  We could spend our days off kayaking and U could go fishing.  I could eat plenty of raspberries and cherries and blueberries and nectarines and... We could enjoy summer and wear long sleeved sweaters in the evenings...

Sigh. 

Instead we got on a bus, transferred to a packed train, and then walked home. 

So we are home.

Kayaking on Maligne Lake and eating rainbow trout caught by U seem more than a world away. And they might as well be as all the things we have willfully ignored over the past two weeks (a translation contract and a few articles to be written for me and a conference presentation for U) are suddenly reminding us of their presence. Back to the real world, I guess.

Sigh.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I dunno, Tokyo's not so bad, there's always Sky Tree ...

    (^0^)

    Welcome back! (Welcome home?)

    PS: Nectarines? Cheap nectarines? Do you think I could get a tourism job in Jasper, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skytree is nice, but I'd take the Rocky Mountains any day! ;) yes, nectarines. Yummmmm! Although nothing (besides alcohol) is cheap in Jasper, so you had better stick with Vancouver... Sigh...

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time! Fresh fruit is a particularly wonderful part of BC (we get to enjoy some of it here in Quebec as well). You must get more exotic fruits from SE Asia in Tokyo? hugs, C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fruit in Tokyo is ridiculously expensive and can only be bought in set amounts. Since U isn't terribly keen on a lot of fruit that means I have to polish off a half dozen plums in three days before they go mushy. Sigh. I really really miss the farmers' market!!

      Delete
    2. Hmm, with plums, you could just cut them in half, and cook for half an hour with a little bit of water, and a little honey or sugar. Then you can keep it in the fridge for longer and spread on bread or just eat as a cold fruit compote.

      Delete
  3. I made really yummy plum muffins! Mmmmm! But now we are into grapes. And peaches. The peaches are yummy but crazy expensive. I'm looking forward to apple season. Japanese apples are really really good!

    ReplyDelete