Friday 12 December 2008

A Newfie Scarf for a Newbie

Last spring a new girl joined the part-time curatorial staff at the museum. While the curatorial staff is predominantly female, I had been the only part-time girl pretty much since I started, so I was glad to have her join the team. She is bubbly and outgoing, making friends immediately and fitting in with everybody from her first day.

Quite soon after she started she saw a scarf I had made for somebody else at the museum and, despite the fact that we didn't know each other very well, she asked me if I'd maker her one. I was rather surprised but I agreed. It took me a few months before I finally felt able to pick the right wool for her scarf, but when I did I knew it was perfect - a chunky Noro in a bright bright bright pink mixed with various other colours. I partnered the wool with a similarly textured black and had a vague idea of what I wanted to make, but I didn't have the exact pattern until my wonderful cousin (once removed) sent me a gorgeous pair of hand-knit mitts. With only one false start I had modified the mitt pattern into a scarf, and the chunky yarn knit up really quickly.




I think it suits her free-spiritedness pretty well. She seems to like it too - she squealed when she opened it and then proceeded to wear it for the entire day as she was working in the object storage space - which is climate controlled and rather chilly!


(She was concerned about how freakishly large her hands look in the photo but after doing hand size comparisons it turns out it isn't just the camera adding ten pounds - her hands ARE freakishly large!!)

4 comments:

  1. I knit the newphie mitts and would love to do the scarf! Can't find a pattern would you mind telling me how you did the scarf?
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been while since I knit it, so I don't remember it at all, but here are the notes I made on the project page on my Ravelry, I hope they help!

      ******

      I used bulky yarn so only cast on 20 stitches.

      Knit 3 rows of the secondary colour (ie black)

      Switch to primary colour and
      R1 - S2 (slip two stitches purl-wise), K4, S2, K4, S2, K4, S2
      R2 - S2, P4, S2, P4, S2, P4, S2
      R3 - S2, K4, S2, K4, S2, K4, S2
      R4 - S2, P4, S2, P4, S2, P4, S2
      R5 - S2, K4, S2, K4, S2, K4, S2
      R6 - S2, P4, S2, P4, S2, P4, S2

      Switch to secondary colour and purl one rown, then knit one row.
      Switch to primary colour

      R1 - K3, S2, K4, S2, K4, S2, K3
      R2 - P3, S2, P4, S2, P4, S2, P3
      R3 - K3, S2, K4, S2, K4, S2, K3
      R4 - P3, S2, P4, S2, P4, S2, P3
      R5 - K3, S2, K4, S2, K4, S2, K3
      R6 - P3, S2, P4, S2, P4, S2, P3

      Switch to secondary colour and purl one rown, then knit one row.

      Switch to primary colour and continue with the pattern.

      I did this for the entire scarf, and then simply added an extra row of the secondary colour and cast off. But what I would reccommend instead would be knit two halves separately and then join them so that the pattern doesn’t get turned upside down when you wear the scarf.

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much for this pattern! Just a quick ? How many needles did you use two or three?

      Delete
    3. It has been quite a while since I knit this, so I honestly don't remember what needles I used. But since it is just flat knit/purl and slipped stitches (no cables), I can't imagine I used anything besides two needles. My usual is actually circular needles, so I likely did this on circs as opposed to DPNs.

      Good luck!

      Delete