Friday 25 December 2009

Twelve Days of Christmas - Day 6 - Cinnamon Buns

Christmas morning for my family would normally begin with one of my excited younger cousins dragging us all from our beds. We'd gather in the living room for stockings - all still in our pjs. We'd open the gifts Santa had left in our stockings, and the adults would sip champagne and bubbly.

About the time we finished opening the gifts (my grandmother ALWAYS being the last because she got distracted watching others open their gifts) the house would have filled with a delicious scent of cinnamon and our Christmas breakfast of freshly baked cinnamon buns would come out of the oven. A generational battle would be waged every year with my uncle and father arguing for raisins and me and my cousins staunchly anti-raisin. Since we had cuteness and youth on our side we won most years, and we'd gleefully inhale our sticky buns - still warm from the oven and oh so ooey gooey good.

I don't have an oven of my own, so I can't make my own cinny buns this year. I had to cheat and buy a Starbucks cinnamon roll. I enjoyed it with my morning coffee, however, as I opened gifts sent by friends and family.


(photograph from the Starbucks Japan website)

4 comments:

  1. even though it's not homemade, the cinnamon rolls at starbucks are delicious! the kids and i shared one today. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps the one I got was just old (I did buy it on Christmas Eve), but I wasn't terribly impressed. I think I'll stick to the chocolate scones - that I have a terrible addiction to...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad about the Starbucks cinnamon roll. I haven't had a cinnamon bun in years! Lorenz likes something that looks like a cinnamon bun, but instead of cinnamon, the paste is nutty, and the bun is called Nussschneke, something he only gets to enjoy in Switzerland... C

    ReplyDelete
  4. C - maybe you could try making them for him sometime? I'm sure there is a recipe somewhere, or you could use a basic cinny bun recipe and just improvise with the nutty filling. mmmm...

    ReplyDelete