Tuesday 29 December 2009

Haggu

The other day U and I were heading home from having brunch with friends. U hadn't been sure he wanted to go for some weird meal that he had never heard of, and had been worried about meeting my (non-Japanese) friends, but he had had a great time - loved the food and the company. I was teasing him for not believing me.

As we went down the escalator we both noticed another internationl couple coming up the escalator in the other direction. The foreign girl was wraped around her Japanese boyfriend, and U turned to me with a smile on his face. "Haggu!" he whispered at me - using one of his new favourite English words.

Looking at U's face, however, I realized he was reacting to more than just the very uncommon public display of affection, he was excited to see another foreign girl/Japanese guy couple. It may seem odd, but suddenly it hit me that I'm not the only one in an international relationship. U is too! I think it'd be good for both of us to have a few friends who are also in international relationships.

2 comments:

  1. What is 'haggu'? I don't think I know that English word! I'm all for international relationships! love and hugs, C

    ReplyDelete
  2. C - souund it out... "ha-gu" (sounds like huh-goo) and remember that Japanese loan words tend to add vowels to the end of the word...

    ReplyDelete