Saturday 17 January 2009

One Little Word

La Fuji Mama wrote recently about an idea suggested by Alie Edwards, choosing a word to represent the new year.

According to Alie:
A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow...

It can be something tangible or intangible. It could be a thought or a feeling or an emotion. It can be singular or plural. The key is to find something that has personal meaning for you. This is not your mother's word or your spouse's word or your child's word - this is YOUR word.

One little word can have big meaning in your life if you allow yourself to be open to the possibilities.

It got me to thinking... What should my word be?

I want a word with promise, one that excites me, but also one that encompasses all that the year holds for me. This is going to be a busy year for me - just after it ends I'll be submitting my thesis, and a few months later I'll be graduating so I need to start figuring out my next step.

I decided on the term 実現 (jitsugen). It means 'realization' and expresses my excitement over the realization of my dreams of studying at a Japanese university, of studying museology, of working at a museum. And it expresses my determination to continue going after my dreams (and write my thesis!).

What's your word?

2 comments:

  1. Cool idea and word. I think my word this year will have to be 'Focus'. I need to finish a book and need to focus on it and maintain focus on what I'm doing while I'm doing it (whatever it may happen to be) in order to enjoy them. It's so easy to feel distracted or be inattentive when there are a lot of balls in the air, but this year, I'm going to FOCUS.
    love, Cath

    ReplyDelete